This post includes Amazon affiliate links. If you make a purchase there is small compensation to me at no additional cost to you.
My second son just turned one and I had a really hard time answering the question “what does he want?” Since he is the second child, and the same gender as our first, we already have a ton of hand-me-downs. So, when I was asked this question about what he wants for his birthday, I’d say something like, “Um, he likes balls. Or books. I don’t know. You don’t have to get him anything.”
But of course people want to buy gifts and when all was said and done, we ended up with some really great gifts for a 1-year-old. I thought it might be helpful to share this list of gifts that we received and love, because I had such a hard time coming up with ideas (even after looking at similar lists).
All of these gifts would be great for a first Christmas or Holiday Season too. Some of these your child can play with earlier than 1, or they may be a bit young for, but most of these gifts will grow with your child. I personally love gifts that kids will be able to use for a long time, which is part of why I had a hard time coming up with ideas- we’re still playing with our first son’s toys!
10 Awesome Gifts for 1 year olds
Fisher Price Laugh & Learn Smart Stages Grill This grill is small, but has a lot going on. It’s got different “levels” of interaction and play based on age. I love that it’s small enough that you could take it with you on a trip or to a restaurant.
- The Big Blue Book of Beginner Books Books are always a great option in my opinion, and this one is different than usual purchases because it has several stories. This one is filled with classic stories including Are You My Mother, which is one I loved as a kid.
- V-Tech Sit-to-Stand Alphabet Train I’ll be honest- I got the heads up that this gift was coming and I felt like it was too similar to a few other toys we already have. But I was wrong- while it does have some similar features, it’s different in so many ways and we’re having a lot of fun with it.
- B. Toys Two-ty Fruity Abacus I love B. Toys and this is a new release we hadn’t seen yet. My little guy has no idea what to do besides push the fruit around, but it will definitely grow with him. My 4yo is having fun with this too.
- V-Tech Musical Rhymes Book It’s sometimes a pain to have too many musical and electronic toys because they can get obnoxious, but this one is really enjoyable. It’s a good size for little hands, and is also one I could see bringing with us when we go out to keep him busy.
- Melissa & Doug Dump Truck We already have several shape sorters, but my little guy LOVES this one. It’s great that there are spots on the side where I can set the shape and he can push it in. He also gets really excited when we dump them all out a the end.
- Fisher Price Bubble Mower A bubble mower is the perfect gift for an early or new walker. And kids of all ages love bubbles so both our 1yo and 4yo are having fun with this.
- Power Wheels Batman Lil’ Quad This is a gift that is definitely not a necessity, nor is it educational or practical. But, it’s really awesome!! Seeing our little guy get the hang of pushing that button and driving at 2mph is just so cute!
- Playtex Superhero Sipsters and Batman Gear I love a good, practical gift and the superhero theme makes them fun for the birthday boy. Since we usually misplace both water bottles and sweatshirts, this was a great gift for everyone.
- Fisher Price Little People Animal Friends Farm This farm is really adorable. It’s another great gift that both of my boys (1 and 4) are enjoying and with lots of animals to choose from, there’s not as much fighting. It’s great for creative play and learning about animals and sounds.
So there you have it- 10 awesome gifts for 1 year olds. What would you add to the list?