This post is sponsored by Bulletproof. All opinions are my own.
Working from home is a blessing and a curse. If you don’t get to do it, you might be jealous of those of us who do. Don’t get me wrong- it is great: no commute, I can start my workday right away (once I’ve had my Bulletproof coffee that is), work happens in my pajamas, and I have flexibility to take care of life’s other responsibilities while I’m at home working.
There are days when I miss my more traditional job where I left the house with my travel coffee mug, saw other people, did my work, interacted with others, was away from my kids and my home, and then left work behind when I was off the clock.
I’ve realized this year in particular, that having routines and incorporating self-care throughout the day is critical to being successful at working from home and adding in much-needed “me time.”
Routines give you consistency not only in your actions but also in your frame of mind. If you have a routine to lead into your work day, you’re likely to start in a calmer, consistent way.
Many people already have a morning routine and for many of us our morning routine to start the day includes a cup of coffee. For a long time, coffee wasn’t a part of my daily routine but with kids and work I started feeling like I needed to add it in. After all, so many people start their day with coffee and swear that it helps them function better.
I was a bit hesitant to start drinking coffee because I’d read articles talking about how coffee can be contaminated with myotoxins (which are damaging compounds created by mold that can grow on the beans- gross, and no thank you!). I didn’t want to start drinking something that’s linked to health issues and disease.
I was really excited though, when I learned about Bulletproof Coffee. Aside from always making me sing the David Guetta/Sia song, I love that I’ve found a coffee beverage that’s low toxin and full of healthy fats to fuel my brain throughout the day. Bulletproof Coffee gets even more elevated when you blend in their grass-fed unsalted butter and Brain Octane Oil. My hubby looked at me sideways when I told him about putting butter in coffee, but now he’s hooked!
Curious about Bulletproof Coffee? Starter kits are a cool way to test it out and see if it’s for you – get yours at http://bulletproof.com/.
Elevating Your Self-Care
To kick your self-care up a notch, first consider what you need to include daily and weekly for your self-care.
Take care of your:
- Body: You need to eat well, stay hydrated, and incorporate exercise as much as possible. I have to admit I am SLACKING in these areas!! Part of why I love my Elevated Bulletproof coffee is that Brain Octane is a key part of Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting, a protocol that boosts metabolism and burns fat. Sounds good to me!
- Mind: Mentally, you need to be able to stay sharp and stimulated. Work probably does this, but self-care isn’t about work. What do you enjoy that stimulates your mind? Need an improvement in cognition? Brain Octane helps here too!
- Emotions: It’s important to feel confident, happy, and enjoy life. What can you do that helps you feel positive?
- Spirit: Everyone fulfills their spiritual needs differently and if connecting to something spiritually is important, incorporate this into your day.
- Connections to Others: We are social creatures and this is one of the first things we lose when we work from home. Facebook doesn’t count- add in real-life social interactions to your week.
- Senses: Having good smells, a comfy chair, or soft slippers are all ways to take care of yourself during the day.
Incorporating Self-Care into Your Daily Routine
I’m a bit of a work-a-holic so I tend to just jump into my day, take care of my kids, and ignore myself. I’m trying to change that.
Your daily routine may be different, but here are some ways to incorporate your self-care throughout the day:
- Starting my day with Bulletproof coffee with the grass-fed ghee (butter) meets many of my self-care needs, which is awesome. The aroma is great and is kind of like my alarm that work is about to start. I add in some of the Brain Octane Oil which is one of the key ingredients in Bulletproof coffee. I love that it helps me burn fat, is a great source of energy from fat rather than sugar and supports brain function. It’s made from 100% coconut oil so I know it’s healthy. The hubby and I enjoy it together giving me much-needed social interaction.
- I plan ahead for easy to prepare meals to make sure I actually eat. If I already know what to eat and it’s available, it’s much easier to take care of myself. Planning at the start of the week and grocery shopping are key.
- During the day I like to have a good-smelling candle lit (away from the kiddos!) to help lift my mood. During the holidays I love peppermint or cinnamon. When the house smells good, I’m instantly in a better mood.
- Incorporating the kids has become important so mid-day dance breaks have become a great way to get in some exercise, have fun, and because I love to dance, this is self-care. This is also the point in the day I realize that I left my Bulletproof coffee somewhere in the house so I usually reheat. It’s great that I only need one cup to carry me throughout the day.
- While my younger son naps, I work, and in the late afternoon we try to get outside and play. We live in a great neighborhood and we often see people we know which allows me to connect with adults- this is much needed for me. If we go a few days without this, I definitely notice that I’m tense and on edge.
Self-care is a critical part of anyone’s day, but I’ve found it especially important as my work has shifted to mostly being from home. Take a moment to check in about what you can do for self-care and decide how you’ll fit it into your day. Even one small change can make a difference. When I started drinking my Bulletproof coffee in the beaker mug, it just made me happy. It’s so cute and delicate that I felt like I had something special for me. So, find what works and do it. Ready to check out Bulletproof for yourself? Visit http://bulletproof.com/.
How are you going to elevate your self-care?
I love my bulletproof coffee too. I add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to it and it’s like having a latte.
Thanks for the tip, Janet! Have you tried it with the butter and brain octane? It definitely kicks things up a notch (or 10!).
Great post! I work outside the home, but self-care as a mom is super important, especially during the holidays when we’re extra run down and during cold and flu season.
Hi Sara (Great name!). Totally agree: self-care as a mom is super important regardless of working at home or not! I found that when I worked out of the home, there were more moments where I could take care of myself, whether it was listening to music I love on the car ride or getting some peace and quiet while I ate lunch. When I’m at home- those things don’t happen!! So, I have to get more creative and intentional about my self-care! Thanks for checking in.
yes to all of this! Self care is so important.
Thanks, Savanna- it’s so important and yet sometimes so hard to make time for!!
I have been wanting to try Bulletproof coffee for a while now!
You definitely should!! They have a starter pack, which is a good way to go!
These are great tips. And I NEED a good cup of coffe to take care of myself and my kiddos.
Thanks, Amy! I know, right?! When mama takes care of herself, it’s better for everyone!
So important to take care of ourselves!
Agreed!! Thanks for stopping by!
I need to try this bullet proof coffee!
Erin- you definitely should!! Check out the starter pack 🙂
definitely great tips! thanks!
Thank you, Katelyn!!
I’ve heard so many good things about bullet proof coffee
I wasn’t really a coffee drinker, and now that I drink it, I hear so many other people love it too!