Mother’s Day is a fantastic day where moms are showered with love, attention and gifts. They don’t have to lift and finger and people take care of them instead of the other way around as it usually is. Well, this is what I picture Mother’s Day to be like for some of you but in the almost 4 years I have been a mom, my Mother’s Days have never been like this. I will say though, I don’t expect my Mother’s Day to be like this for a few reasons:
- In our family, every day is about love so we’re not really into the days where it’s supposed to be “special.” It’s a 24/7 thing around here (in theory!)
- We’re not big on giving gifts at these types of days. See above.
- My husband has worked weekends since I met him 12 years ago. So Mother’s Day is like any other day where I’m on usual mom duty.
This year, however, is different. My husband doesn’t have to work.
So, here are 5 things I want for Mother’s Day…
To sleep. N, my lovely little 7 month old, this one is for you. Can you only wake up 2 times instead of 4 or 5?
- To sleep in. All hands on deck for this one: Lovely hubby, please remove N and E from the room as soon as they start making noise. Momma wants to sleep.
- To take a nap if points 1 and 2 are missed. (Can you tell how much I love sleep?).
- A mani/pedi: Yes, I want someone to pamper me a bit and I want to have pretty nails when I’m done. I’m sure they’ll chip a day later but I don’t even care.
- Flexibility/freedom: I want to be able to decide if I want to take a nap. I want to decide if we go to breakfast. Or if we don’t. If I want to go to a movie? Then I want to be able to go. By myself. For one day in my almost 4 years as a mom I want a day to myself that I get to call the shots.
You may have noticed that these activities don’t involve my kids. I know that for many moms you don’t get enough time with your kids and this is a very special day where you get to see them more than usual. But for a mom who spends LOTS of time with her kids, I just want a break. Anyone else feel like that?[bctt tweet=”Many moms want to see their kids; for a mom who spends LOTS of time with her kids, I just want a break. ” username=”GetMomBalanced”]
Even if you have your kids with you all day and no one to help give you some time off, think of small ways to take time for yourself: Put on a movie for the kids while you soak in the tub; drag them along to Starbucks so you can get your favorite drink and then let them run at the park while you read a book; Go to a kids movie and get all of your favorite snacks. Whatever you envision for your Mother’s Day, I hope you get it because being a mom is a tough job.
Let us know: What’s your hope for Mother’s Day and what’s the reality?
Post Mother’s Day Edit: In case anyone was wondering, my little kiddo did sleep a bit better and I got to sleep in until 9:30AM!!! My hubby made me a delicious breakfast , I skipped the nap, got the mani/pedi and enjoyed a day of just hanging out. It was great and was topped off with pizza for dinner!
Yes, I drag my kid to coffee shops. I let her play on her phone while I watch her and sip on my favorite drink 🙂
♥ from http://www.expatpetite.blogspot.com
Good for you! I’m sure she enjoys it too and it’s a good way to get a break. I always get my son a “Coffee Water” (ice water) when we go so we each get our favorite drink 🙂